WTO-S35 OWLTrek 1310/1550nm Singlemode OTDR OWL
Small, pocket-sized OTDR does same job as larger, more expensive OTDRs, for a fraction of the cost
With an unbeatable combination of a small pocket-sized form factor, a large high-resolution 2.8” color LCD display, and some of the lowest pricing in the industry, the OWLTrek OTDR from OWL is the WISE choice for cost-conscious buyers who only need to perform basic troubleshooting or restoration tasks on singlemode optical fiber networks. All this from an OTDR that really is pocket-sized and fair priced, yet having comparable features and specifications to other OTDRs in its class.
Affordability. In a time when it is becoming increasingly difficult to justify equipping an entire technical staff with high-end equipment, companies are even more cost-conscious than before. Outfit a majority of the installation/repair trucks with OWLTrek OTDRs, and set aside a few high-end “expert” vehicles for high-priority roll-outs.
Usability. The OWLTrek OTDR may be pocket-sized, but the large 2.8” high-resolution color LCD display can show even the longest traces with ease. And, for greater viewing flexibility and trace detail, OWL has implemented state-of-the-art MEMS technology which “flips” the high-resolution color LCD display between portrait and landscape mode automatically. In landscape mode, a wider viewing area means greater viewing detail.
Automatic event location is an advanced feature normally found only in expensive, high-end OTDRs. The OWLTrek OTDR now brings this feature to the entry-level OTDR market. While in event location mode, the OWLTrek OTDR marks events on the trace, has an event table showing the location, type, reflectance level, and loss of each event, and auto-zooms to the selected event.
Dynamic Range vs. Distance. OWLTrek singlemode OTDRs are capable of finding breaks in singlemode optical fibers up to 80 miles to within +/- 6 feet. Additional splices and other loss producing events will limit end distance estimates. This is true for all OTDRs. However, passive singlemode Telco links are almost always less than 12 miles long. At this distance, OWLTrek OTDRs have break finding capability of about +/- 1 meter! In fact, increased dynamic range is actually a disadvantage in almost all cases because of the increased OTDR cost (usually thousands of dollars more).
- Output Wavelength: 1310/1550nm
- Fiber Type: SM
- 2 Dynamic Range (SNR=1) : 25/23 dB
- 3 Event Dead Zone : 2 meters (typical)
- 4 Attenuation Dead Zone : 7 meters (typical)
- Maximum Data Points: 64000
- Data Point Spacing: Up to 64km: 1 meter // Over 64km: 2 meters
- Pulse Width: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000 meters
- Index of Refraction: 1.4000 to 1.6000
- Distance Accuracy: Up to 64km: 1 + (distance in meters/10000) // Over 64km: 2 + (distance in meters/10000)
- 5 Distance Range : 128 kilometers
- Number of Stored Traces: Maximum trace distance: up to 200 // Minimum trace distance: 3000+
- Display Type: High-resolution Color LCD
- Display Size: 2.8” diagonal
- Battery Type: Lithium Polymer
- Battery Life: up to 20 hours normal usage
- Dimensions: 2.87” x 4.42” x 1.25”
- Weight: 10 ounces (284 g)
Visual Fault Locator Specifications:
- Output Wavelength: 650nm
- Output Power: 1 mW
- Operating Mode: CW / Flash